On the 21st of November 2022 our youth council was invited to participate on a workshop of a project called EU_INCLUDE that took place in the city of Trikala. Two members of our youth council (Mr Giannis Lappas and Mrs Elia Kostopoulou) took part on a round table discussion between officials of the participating municipalities in charge of managing the processes of citizen participation and social workers from associations linked with civic participation and democratic life about European Rights for European Citizens.
The youth council representatives were asked to give their opinion on the following issues:
- Taking into consideration that Democracy is one of the fundamental values of the European Union, which are the values and the principles that are vivid in contemporary diverse societies?
- How will the Generation Z become active members of inclusive and participatory societies and cities?
- Living in the European Union brings with it fundamental rights and responsibilities, too. What is necessary for societies to function democratically?
- The issue of participatory democracy and its links with representative democracy is vital for civic participation. Is the civic engagement an essential pillar for a proper collective functioning?
- Is citizens’ participation to political, economic, social and cultural life crucial for people’s commitment to the values of Democracy?
- Are representation and participation, the two main pillars of a strong democracy?
- Describe with one word, your perspectives of the participation to the Youth Municipal Council.
What is more NEUEYT was also presented during this meeting by Mrs Christina Karaberi, member of E-TRIKALA, as a best practice in promoting young people democratic participation The workshop was also broadcasted live via the venues YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5RLR3OJ_HlQ